Friday, September 2, 2011

What Is Labor Day?

Everyone has wondered this at some point in their life. I tend to wonder it most when I find myself working on Labor Day. Luckily for you, my lovely readers, your darling Liz has the answer to your Labor Day questions.

To start things off, Labor Day is observed on the first Monday of every September. It was first observed on September 5th in 1882 by the Central Labor Union of New York. It was made an official holiday by President Cleveland in in 1894. Unfortunately this was not an act of generosity. It was a political move to reestablish Cleveland's ties with the labor movement after U.S. Marshals killed laborers during the rowdy Pullman Strike.

And there you have it. So this Labor Day, spend the day thinking about U.S. Marshals killing protestors and selfish presidents making political moves. Hey, I'll toast to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment